Dept. of This and That
Saturday, 19 September 2026 09:25 pmIt's Going on Fall ...
... and yet I'm thinking of making some gazpacho soup. I can't decide whether to make one that uses a beef broth base, or a completely vegetarian one with a vegetable and tomato broth base. I won't be able to undertake either tomorrow, because Bob and I are going to be up in Glenview, taking care of the kids while Andy and Emily are at an afternoon poetry slam (and why not?) but perhaps later in the week.
One thing I did cook up today was some applesauce. I've had a couple of different varieties of apples slowly turning into wizened wonders and didn't even smell like apples anymore. They did smell like plant life, which probably sounds gross, but wasn't. I added white and brown sugar, a fair amount of cinnamon, some nutmeg and a little mace to the pot, then had to add a fair amount of lemon juice, since I overdid the sugar. The end result is acceptable to me, and I'll enjoy having some for breakfast or lunch tomorrow.
I've been gradually creating another music playlist; it's now a little over five hours in length, which my Kpop friends tell me is small potatoes. They have Spotify lists that are 12, 16, or even more hours in length. My playlists are solely from songs I've got on my hard drive, so I'm pleased with what I'm putting together. I do have some older playlists that have reached eight hours in length, but I find that I'm always more interested in lists into which I've placed my most recent musical acquisitions than the old lists. I should probably get rid of some of my older lists.
I woke up this morning with the kind of headache that I just know came from changing air pressure, since we're having a lot of hot and cold fronts move into our area. The overnight weather insists that we'll be having thunderstorms from now until 9 a.m. tomorrow Promises, promises ....
... and yet I'm thinking of making some gazpacho soup. I can't decide whether to make one that uses a beef broth base, or a completely vegetarian one with a vegetable and tomato broth base. I won't be able to undertake either tomorrow, because Bob and I are going to be up in Glenview, taking care of the kids while Andy and Emily are at an afternoon poetry slam (and why not?) but perhaps later in the week.
One thing I did cook up today was some applesauce. I've had a couple of different varieties of apples slowly turning into wizened wonders and didn't even smell like apples anymore. They did smell like plant life, which probably sounds gross, but wasn't. I added white and brown sugar, a fair amount of cinnamon, some nutmeg and a little mace to the pot, then had to add a fair amount of lemon juice, since I overdid the sugar. The end result is acceptable to me, and I'll enjoy having some for breakfast or lunch tomorrow.
I've been gradually creating another music playlist; it's now a little over five hours in length, which my Kpop friends tell me is small potatoes. They have Spotify lists that are 12, 16, or even more hours in length. My playlists are solely from songs I've got on my hard drive, so I'm pleased with what I'm putting together. I do have some older playlists that have reached eight hours in length, but I find that I'm always more interested in lists into which I've placed my most recent musical acquisitions than the old lists. I should probably get rid of some of my older lists.
I woke up this morning with the kind of headache that I just know came from changing air pressure, since we're having a lot of hot and cold fronts move into our area. The overnight weather insists that we'll be having thunderstorms from now until 9 a.m. tomorrow Promises, promises ....
no subject
Date: Sunday, 20 September 2026 09:40 am (UTC)(Although, any mention of gazpacho soup always amuses me, because I've never had it, so I just immediately think of Arnold Rimmer.)
no subject
Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2026 01:26 am (UTC)And I think I'll be making some gazpacho next week.
no subject
Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2026 09:31 am (UTC)And, heh, yes, you found the right Rimmer!
no subject
Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2026 03:05 pm (UTC)And a name like Arnold Rimmer begs to be remembered. Heh.
no subject
Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2026 06:45 pm (UTC)He's Arnold Judas Rimmer. That is his crime, and that is his punishment. XD
I'm sorry Red Dwarf wouldn't come your way; it's great.
no subject
Date: Thursday, 24 September 2026 02:40 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Sunday, 20 September 2026 08:45 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2026 01:27 am (UTC)This is the PERFECT time of year for gazpacho!
Date: Monday, 21 September 2026 07:17 pm (UTC)Gazpacho is, of course, a centuries old traditional Spanish dish. Which is a little perplexing when you consider how recently tomatoes came on the scene in Europe. Huh. So I looked up the origins of gazpacho and learned that the Romans came up with it, long before they knew about tomatoes. It was essentially an olive oil and garlic soup brightened with vinegar and thickened with stale bread! Tomatoes weren't added to the recipe until the 19th century. Knowing this encouraged me not to skimp on the olive oil, although it is still basically a tomato soup to me. I love it.
Re: This is the PERFECT time of year for gazpacho!
Date: Tuesday, 22 September 2026 01:32 am (UTC)The history of the soup is neat; I'd forgotten that tomatoes are a reasonably recent addition to European and other non-western hemisphere kitchens. I do remember the "thicken it with stale bread" part, because a couple of the recipes I eye when I put the soup together mention it. I have a fair amount of extra-virgin olive oil, so that will definitely be part of the final product.