Dept. of This and That
Wednesday, 23 September 2026 04:23 pmSeveral Things Make Some Sort of List
I am tired of not getting to sleep unless I have painkillers and/or small amounts of edibles in me. That's to handle my bloody right hip. It becomes even more tiring when my bad back (right side) decides to act up at the same time. I'm about to break out the heating pad or an ice pack; can't quite figure out which to try first.
Bob and I can still entertain! We had Shiny, the child of our heart, over for supper and post-meal conversation. Squash pie and whipped cream for dessert. One steak we were able to split into three servings, Bob's mashed potatoes, which we used to feed a teenage Shiny when they were still the little one our son was dating in high school, a child desperately in need of at least relatively stable adult parental figures. She (at the time, she was she) was taking care of a wonderful father whose parenting skills were rough, and needed people to take care of her. That care included feeding her because she didn't have much to feed herself, and she loved Bob's mashed potatoes. One name change and a new life's journey later, Shiny still loves those potatoes. There were a lot of hugs and catching up to do.
Regarding the aforementioned squash pie; I'm inordinately pleased with myself. I baked two acorn squash, then pureed the cooked squash and used it to make the pie. All in one day, mind you. And yes, I'm patting myself on the back, or at least on the top of my very own pointy head for doing all that in one day.
Even though nearly all the sunflowers in our neighbor's parkway garden have gone to seed, there are still a few blooms making my day a tiny bit brighter. And the win continues to blow them all around. I love the wind, at least at this level of strength.
I had to call one of my banks today, to find out why the debit card they were supposed to have issued me about three weeks ago hadn't arrived. The guy checked; yes, the people I spoke to back then had stopped the card that had been hacked and no, they never issued a new card. He issued one and sent it out on an expedited basis. He even waived the usual cost of expediting, and made an official complaint on my behalf about the lack of service I got initially. Huzzah!
And there you have it, my Tuesday and my Wednesday.
I am tired of not getting to sleep unless I have painkillers and/or small amounts of edibles in me. That's to handle my bloody right hip. It becomes even more tiring when my bad back (right side) decides to act up at the same time. I'm about to break out the heating pad or an ice pack; can't quite figure out which to try first.
Bob and I can still entertain! We had Shiny, the child of our heart, over for supper and post-meal conversation. Squash pie and whipped cream for dessert. One steak we were able to split into three servings, Bob's mashed potatoes, which we used to feed a teenage Shiny when they were still the little one our son was dating in high school, a child desperately in need of at least relatively stable adult parental figures. She (at the time, she was she) was taking care of a wonderful father whose parenting skills were rough, and needed people to take care of her. That care included feeding her because she didn't have much to feed herself, and she loved Bob's mashed potatoes. One name change and a new life's journey later, Shiny still loves those potatoes. There were a lot of hugs and catching up to do.
Regarding the aforementioned squash pie; I'm inordinately pleased with myself. I baked two acorn squash, then pureed the cooked squash and used it to make the pie. All in one day, mind you. And yes, I'm patting myself on the back, or at least on the top of my very own pointy head for doing all that in one day.
Even though nearly all the sunflowers in our neighbor's parkway garden have gone to seed, there are still a few blooms making my day a tiny bit brighter. And the win continues to blow them all around. I love the wind, at least at this level of strength.
I had to call one of my banks today, to find out why the debit card they were supposed to have issued me about three weeks ago hadn't arrived. The guy checked; yes, the people I spoke to back then had stopped the card that had been hacked and no, they never issued a new card. He issued one and sent it out on an expedited basis. He even waived the usual cost of expediting, and made an official complaint on my behalf about the lack of service I got initially. Huzzah!
And there you have it, my Tuesday and my Wednesday.
no subject
Date: Thursday, 24 September 2026 09:47 pm (UTC)It's a nice community generally, and the author of that post has been taking pictures of that sunflower field and captioning some of them for a while now.
https://common-nature.dreamwidth.org/
P.
no subject
Date: Thursday, 24 September 2026 10:39 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Thursday, 24 September 2026 11:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Saturday, 26 September 2026 01:35 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Saturday, 26 September 2026 02:02 am (UTC)P.
no subject
Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 04:11 pm (UTC)All good things. Very bold of you to follow up on the card and your courage was rewarded!
no subject
Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 04:28 pm (UTC)