kaffy_r: Mid-afternoon view from the spirit world train. (Train view)
[personal profile] kaffy_r
First World Problems, Ahoy

Well, I'm not sure my diverse menu of back and hip pains qualifies as a First World Problem, but whinging about it certainly does. As I said yesterday, I'm getting tired of having to use painkillers of various types in order to sleep. Even with those aids, I haven't had uninterrupted sleep for the past couple of weeks. Even the good nights include me waking from the pain and a) getting a hot shower at 3 a.m. or b) taking more painkiller. 

I've been reluctant to restart my physical therapy exercises because a couple of them have added to my pain, so either I'm doing them wrong or they're wrong for me. But I really need to review all of the exercises and decide which ones I should restart. I mean, I can't complain if I'm not actively trying to get myself better. 

Part of my problem is that the right side of my upper back is enduring the kind of pain that I file under "is that a dull knife hacking at my side, or are you just happy to see me?" And trying to make my heating pad reach that part of my aching body while still covering some of the sore hip area is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure my physical therapist would prescribe ice packs ... but heat relaxes me. So there, she said petulantly. 

Andy and Julian came over for about an hour or so, because Andy was handling Julian alone for the entire day and he desperately needed to be in a room with other adults. We were happy to be those adults for a while. 

In the possibly TMI department, my colonoscopy date looms in the very near future. I loathe colonoscopies with the heat of a dozen burning suns, for a whole lot of reasons, not least of which is the prep work. More deponent saith naught because let's be real, talking about a colonoscopy? Ewww. 

Tomorrow I have to contact our tile installer and find out how soon he can get here to do the work. I know he had a couple of largish jobs before our job, but I'd like to have a better idea of when to expect him. And I have to nudge the condo association folks to pay me the $700 for their portion of the jobs. 

I think that's about it for today. 


Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 03:18 am (UTC)
redbird: closeup of me drinking tea, in a friend's kitchen (Default)
From: [personal profile] redbird

I know something non-yuck about colonoscopies: the prep varies quite a bit from place to place, and on average has been getting less strict and unpleasant over time. So if your last colonscopy was 5-10 years ago, it may not be as bad as you're expecting.

Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 03:28 am (UTC)
lilacsigil: 12 Apostles rocks, text "Rock On" (12 Apostles)
From: [personal profile] lilacsigil
With the exercises, I don't know what's available to you in the US, but I have had great results working with an exercise physiologist. I have autoimmune fuckery going on which means it's really easy to hurt myself, but working with an exercise physiologist has really helped me know the difference between "mildly painful but will help" and "this will mess you up".

Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 04:01 am (UTC)
minnehaha: (Default)
From: [personal profile] minnehaha
Get another heating pad?

K.

Along thar line

Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 09:10 am (UTC)
lsanderson: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lsanderson
Have you tried sleeping on an electric mattress pad? There's a few that are zoned.

Re: Along that line, for example

Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 10:12 pm (UTC)
lsanderson: (Default)
From: [personal profile] lsanderson
https://www.amazon.com/Serta-Multi-Zone-Heated-Mattress-Pad/dp/B0FYPM5M6Y/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2HFNR1LG75A95&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.dTYMq2xJIGtNgHB_9-8AXZrsJpYgYUMHIbX20D2qEccrVBkgCHflvIayHN8Yh29_EV2m-9m2EJaOjZZg_n0CW3393wB5-gmqK_pb5Iz81w0OBFK9v4qt9keaQsO78ZVXSLQW1Ak-myA39ytT2yAWaKH6VqLS_47qq8_dP8XD8e1tagbxUPSFm1Z4RnSRzXSzsvV007fpx-g2dF4uAPTLLxjdtI7Ksqd6BC-pmAT8T8s9QPpOh8iur3qzFR7VQCawFzCoZWmRkE9yUdyOgNCUonDyf-lnlgYPncUE_ABMLGw.vY8M8dElQJmfw6M0UGkjlXtaohqWpu3qpajfAWIDaKg&dib_tag=se&keywords=zoned%2Belectric%2Bmattress%2Bpad&qid=1790374178&sprefix=zoned%2Belectric%2Bmattress%2Bpad%2Caps%2C277&sr=8-6&th=1

They might go down around Black Friday or the upcoming Amazon Prime days, but they're cheapest to buy when spring is icummen in. All/most/many major department stores will have them. Most full and larger sizes have dual controls, and the one this links to has a body and foot settings for each side. They mostly have automatic shutdowns after 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 hours, and heat settings that go between slightly warm and a full broil.
Edited (Send help, can't type...) Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 10:25 pm (UTC)

Pain sucks

Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 04:00 pm (UTC)
jesse_the_k: White bowl of homemade chicken soup, hold the noodles (chicken soup)
From: [personal profile] jesse_the_k

The colonoscopy prep adviser taught me the Easy Way approach to procedure prep

  • low residue diet for 3 days
  • clear liquid diet for 1 day
  • start prep & continue clear liquid diet

Haute cuisine it ain't but no wildly urgent painful stuff either.

And after the prep they told me I'd never need another screening procedure. There is light at the end of some tunnel-shaped structure.

Re: Pain sucks

Date: Saturday, 26 September 2026 01:50 am (UTC)
jesse_the_k: Pipe from Magritte's Treachery of Images captioned "this is not an icon" (Default)
From: [personal profile] jesse_the_k

Glad to be of use!

Date: Friday, 25 September 2026 07:13 pm (UTC)
thisbluespirit: (hugs)
From: [personal profile] thisbluespirit
Aw, I'm sorry about all the pain. And not the colonoscopy prep! It really is the most evil. *hugs*

Date: Saturday, 26 September 2026 08:35 am (UTC)
thisbluespirit: (dw - eleven)
From: [personal profile] thisbluespirit
Aw, now you have an Amy-and-sunflowers icon! <3

Date: Saturday, 26 September 2026 04:39 am (UTC)
chez_jae: (Default)
From: [personal profile] chez_jae
Constant pain is awful, especially when it prevents you from sleeping.

Date: Saturday, 26 September 2026 06:45 pm (UTC)
verdande_mi: (Default)
From: [personal profile] verdande_mi
I am sorry for all the pain and lack of sleep.

I do think, back when my hip was all out of whack and truly causing pain, it was because I had overdone it with some exercises. It's not always easy to know if we are doing things correctly, often enough or doing the wrong ones. I hope you can find some relief.

And am like you, I prefer heating pads, but have slowly come around to ice packs.

Profile

kaffy_r: The TARDIS says hello (Default)
kaffy_r

September 2026

S M T W T F S
  1 23 4 5
6 7 8910 1112
131415 16 17 18 19
20 2122 23 24 2526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sunday, 27 September 2026 08:45 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios