Dept. of Pointing and Jeering
Friday, 21 August 2026 04:03 pmThirteen-Plus Years Too Late
One of the movie series I actively avoided in the early oughts was the Twilight Saga. (For that matter, it was one of the book series I also swerved to avoid.) I've been learning why that was a good idea - and also why the movies are so enjoyable to make brutal fun of. Sparkly vampires! Hunky werewolves! The biggest Mary Sue to ever Mary Sue! What's not to eyeroll about?*
One of the things we do over on the Couch Discord is to watch movies; some to love for the first time, some to love again - and some to ... well, not hate-watch, more to snicker-watch.
And yes, the Twilight Saga has been what we've watched every couple of Fridays over the last couple of months. The official title of this exercise is "Drunk Twilight," on the basis of knowing one has to be in an altered state of mind to watch the thing and not gouge one's own eyes out.
I'm about to hit the Twitch Stream to watch "Twilight; Breaking Dawn, Part One" and I know it's going to be ridiculously painful fun.
To the movie!
* How did Kristin Stewart end up being such a good actor after having to plough through dreck like this?
One of the movie series I actively avoided in the early oughts was the Twilight Saga. (For that matter, it was one of the book series I also swerved to avoid.) I've been learning why that was a good idea - and also why the movies are so enjoyable to make brutal fun of. Sparkly vampires! Hunky werewolves! The biggest Mary Sue to ever Mary Sue! What's not to eyeroll about?*
One of the things we do over on the Couch Discord is to watch movies; some to love for the first time, some to love again - and some to ... well, not hate-watch, more to snicker-watch.
And yes, the Twilight Saga has been what we've watched every couple of Fridays over the last couple of months. The official title of this exercise is "Drunk Twilight," on the basis of knowing one has to be in an altered state of mind to watch the thing and not gouge one's own eyes out.
I'm about to hit the Twitch Stream to watch "Twilight; Breaking Dawn, Part One" and I know it's going to be ridiculously painful fun.
To the movie!
* How did Kristin Stewart end up being such a good actor after having to plough through dreck like this?
no subject
Date: Friday, 21 August 2026 09:50 pm (UTC)I will also link you to the single best Twilight vid ever made: Sunburn.
no subject
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 03:23 pm (UTC)the way he keeps trying to look deep and troubled, but only comes across as constipated
*snort*
As I said about Kristin Stewart, I don't know how or when Pattinson learned to be such a good actor. Or maybe he and she were always good actors, but were directed by someone 14 years old and going through the last gasp of puberty.
ETA: I can't believe someone made a vid that made the first movie look good. They should be ashamed of themselves.
no subject
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 03:55 pm (UTC)^_^
As I said about Kristin Stewart, I don't know how or when Pattinson learned to be such a good actor. Or maybe he and she were always good actors, but were directed by someone 14 years old and going through the last gasp of puberty.
Pattinson has been SO SCATHING of Stephenie Meyer, it's amazing. You can look it up. All his interviews about Twilight are him saying things like: 'This woman is disturbed' and 'It was really weird and uncomfortable to film'.
ETA: I can't believe someone made a vid that made the first movie look good. They should be ashamed of themselves.
They are a god-tier level of vidder.
HOWEVER. I have also dug out two other vids:
Sparkle Time (Nothing does this justice.) (I can't find it on youtube, if you don't trust the source I can send it to you.)
Buffy vs Edward: Twilight Remixed
In this re-imagined narrative, Edward Cullen from the Twilight Series meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's an example of transformative storytelling serving as a pro-feminist visual critique of Edward's character and generally creepy behavior.
(I love Buffy so much 💖)
no subject
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 11:26 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Monday, 24 August 2026 05:10 pm (UTC)Here you go:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fl2uufnd
no subject
Date: Wednesday, 26 August 2026 02:14 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Sunday, 30 August 2026 09:11 pm (UTC)On My Trip to Hell
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 12:57 am (UTC)Re: On My Trip to Hell
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 03:08 pm (UTC)snrk
snicker
guffaw
I must hear about that trip to Hong Kong. Also, you write just like Hunter Thompson in this little paragraph. A jewel. A jewel almost as sparkly as Edward Cullen.
(Also, I don't have any sparkly vampire icons, so here's a picture of Felix from Stray Kids. And his abs.)
no subject
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 09:45 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 04:02 pm (UTC)I think I read somewhere that Meyer had never read any vampire lore or stories, so she just made things up out of whole cloth. Mind you, that's what probably started modern vampire lore back a ways, but still. Heh.
no subject
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 08:05 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Saturday, 22 August 2026 11:27 pm (UTC)That this makes sense to me probably says a lot about me. Heh.
no subject
Date: Sunday, 23 August 2026 03:44 am (UTC)I still can't believe S Meyers didn't sue EL James for every penny.
no subject
Date: Sunday, 23 August 2026 04:02 pm (UTC)Which of the two was the better writer?
no subject
Date: Monday, 24 August 2026 01:16 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Monday, 24 August 2026 01:37 am (UTC)