Dept. of Technology
Tuesday, 25 August 2026 08:34 pmBreathless Panic, Thy Name is Me
As anyone who has paid attention to my posts in recentweeks months possibly centuries knows, I'm going to the Aug. 28 BTS concert at Chicago's Soldier Field, with 19 other folks who I kinda sorta know thanks to the KPop discord community I'm involved in (and I have met a few of them in real life). I put my money into the shared box we'll be sitting in, and the organizer planned to email everyone their e-ticket. I had a brief discussion with her about how to move the ticket from Gmail to my Google wallet, which she advised everyone to do. I was a little confused, but thought I understood how to do it.
I didn't give it a lot of thought until last night when I looked back at the discussion, saw it was in May and realized I'd never gotten the ticket. This morning, I contacted her about it, because I had a horrible feeling that I wasn't going to be able to get the ticket, and wouldn't be able to go to the concert, and wouldn't get the money back. Oddly, the loss of the money didn't bother me as much as the idea of not going to the concert.
She asked me for my Gmail address and a few hours later she sent the ticket.
Success!
Not quite
Try as I might, I couldn't get my wallet and my Gmail account to synch in order to get the ticket where it needed to go. I kept doing what seemed to be the right moves, only to see that both accounts seemingly failed to have the buttons that were supposed to be easy for me to access. I could see that I'd received notice of the ticket, and the notice kept telling me to get my ticket ready to use via Google wallet ... and I couldn't.
Cue even more panic.
I finally looked at a short sentence at the bottom of the ticket. "Questions? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx."
So I did. I didn't hold out much hope, because the phone number was for Soldier Field, and the ticket was Ticketmaster (I learned from the young man who I spoke to that the entities are joined at the hip; one is the umbrella owner of the other, although I can't recall which owns which, and that's neither here nor there, but I am nothing if not completist.) But the young man wouldn't give up on me. He kept telling me that I needed to be on Soldierfield.com, and not ticketmaster.com, and I was certain I'd actually signed into Soldierfield.com, but I couldn't be certain because of course this all had to be done on my mobile, while he and I were talking on our home phone.
He tried a couple of things, then a couple more things. None of them worked. While he did that, and my voice got wobbly with incipient tears, I also hunted down things in my Google settings. I discovered that I hadn't enabled automatic synching between Gmail and the wallet, although I thought I'd done that. So I turned that on, and went back to working with the young man.
Still, nothing worked, and my voice got even more wobbly and I said stupid stuff like "I'm 70 and I must be messing this up."
Yep. Nothing worked.
Until it did.
Out of nowhere, out of some internet left field, I found the ticket and it transferred into the wallet.
I literally (yes, I'll use the word the way it isn't supposed to be used because it's not a hill I'm going to die on) screamed "Oh my god! It's there! You did it!"
He said "We did it!"
We both laughed and Bob shouted out "Give that man a raise!" I told him to have a good Tuesday, a good week, a good weekend, and a good rest of his life.
And I now have the ticket. So I will be able to go to the concert.
I'm sure I'll be panic-stricken about something connected to this tomorrow, but for now I'm basking in a severe lack of panic.
As anyone who has paid attention to my posts in recent
I didn't give it a lot of thought until last night when I looked back at the discussion, saw it was in May and realized I'd never gotten the ticket. This morning, I contacted her about it, because I had a horrible feeling that I wasn't going to be able to get the ticket, and wouldn't be able to go to the concert, and wouldn't get the money back. Oddly, the loss of the money didn't bother me as much as the idea of not going to the concert.
She asked me for my Gmail address and a few hours later she sent the ticket.
Success!
Not quite
Try as I might, I couldn't get my wallet and my Gmail account to synch in order to get the ticket where it needed to go. I kept doing what seemed to be the right moves, only to see that both accounts seemingly failed to have the buttons that were supposed to be easy for me to access. I could see that I'd received notice of the ticket, and the notice kept telling me to get my ticket ready to use via Google wallet ... and I couldn't.
Cue even more panic.
I finally looked at a short sentence at the bottom of the ticket. "Questions? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx."
So I did. I didn't hold out much hope, because the phone number was for Soldier Field, and the ticket was Ticketmaster (I learned from the young man who I spoke to that the entities are joined at the hip; one is the umbrella owner of the other, although I can't recall which owns which, and that's neither here nor there, but I am nothing if not completist.) But the young man wouldn't give up on me. He kept telling me that I needed to be on Soldierfield.com, and not ticketmaster.com, and I was certain I'd actually signed into Soldierfield.com, but I couldn't be certain because of course this all had to be done on my mobile, while he and I were talking on our home phone.
He tried a couple of things, then a couple more things. None of them worked. While he did that, and my voice got wobbly with incipient tears, I also hunted down things in my Google settings. I discovered that I hadn't enabled automatic synching between Gmail and the wallet, although I thought I'd done that. So I turned that on, and went back to working with the young man.
Still, nothing worked, and my voice got even more wobbly and I said stupid stuff like "I'm 70 and I must be messing this up."
Yep. Nothing worked.
Until it did.
Out of nowhere, out of some internet left field, I found the ticket and it transferred into the wallet.
I literally (yes, I'll use the word the way it isn't supposed to be used because it's not a hill I'm going to die on) screamed "Oh my god! It's there! You did it!"
He said "We did it!"
We both laughed and Bob shouted out "Give that man a raise!" I told him to have a good Tuesday, a good week, a good weekend, and a good rest of his life.
And I now have the ticket. So I will be able to go to the concert.
I'm sure I'll be panic-stricken about something connected to this tomorrow, but for now I'm basking in a severe lack of panic.
no subject
Date: Wednesday, 26 August 2026 03:10 am (UTC)K.
no subject
Date: Thursday, 27 August 2026 12:33 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Wednesday, 26 August 2026 07:04 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Thursday, 27 August 2026 02:13 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Wednesday, 26 August 2026 11:11 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Thursday, 27 August 2026 02:15 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Wednesday, 26 August 2026 02:31 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Thursday, 27 August 2026 02:17 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Saturday, 29 August 2026 01:56 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Sunday, 30 August 2026 05:11 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Wednesday, 26 August 2026 08:34 pm (UTC)Long ago we all went to the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul to see Richard Thompson play. There was a monumental seating screw-up that we had to go to the house manager to repair. At one point I said plaintively that I'd filled out a detailed form for Ticketmaster, and the manager said, "Ticketmaster doesn't care."
So I'm glad Soldier Field does.
P.
no subject
Date: Thursday, 27 August 2026 02:19 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Thursday, 27 August 2026 01:28 am (UTC)I hope you have a wonderful time at the concert.
no subject
Date: Thursday, 27 August 2026 02:20 am (UTC)no subject
Date: Friday, 28 August 2026 06:20 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Sunday, 30 August 2026 05:12 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: Saturday, 29 August 2026 09:28 am (UTC)Looking forward to you post about the show, if you ever write one.
(A friend's sister flew in from Seattle for the show & came up to Madison for a couple of days, after. I love that this is an option: seeing K-pop bands live, in person, outside of Korea.)
no subject
Date: Sunday, 30 August 2026 05:16 pm (UTC)What frightens me is that I've found myself thinking about how I'd try to go another concert - whether for BTS, Stray Kids, or Ateez. I'll have to watch myself carefully the next time summer concert season rolls around. Heh.