Dept. of Goodbyes
Wednesday, 26 August 2026 09:22 pmDolly and Tim
Dolly Parton and Tim Curry have both died at the age of 80, and on the same day. In many ways they couldn't have been more different, but there were ways in which they were very similar.
Both were sui generis; no one out there was like Dolly Rebecca Parton, with her song-writing ability, her voice like liquid glass, her acting chops, her fearlessness - she gave not a fig about what people thought of her fashion sense, or her towering blonde wigs - her warmth and her willingness to use her good fortune to help others.
Nor was anyone out there like Tim Curry, with his own unforgettable voice, his beautifully rubbery face, his ability to play erotic weirdos, terrifying horrors, and comedic villains, among other characters. Nor did he let the stroke that paralyzed him change the way he looked at the world.
I'm so sorry both of them are gone.
Dolly Parton and Tim Curry have both died at the age of 80, and on the same day. In many ways they couldn't have been more different, but there were ways in which they were very similar.
Both were sui generis; no one out there was like Dolly Rebecca Parton, with her song-writing ability, her voice like liquid glass, her acting chops, her fearlessness - she gave not a fig about what people thought of her fashion sense, or her towering blonde wigs - her warmth and her willingness to use her good fortune to help others.
Nor was anyone out there like Tim Curry, with his own unforgettable voice, his beautifully rubbery face, his ability to play erotic weirdos, terrifying horrors, and comedic villains, among other characters. Nor did he let the stroke that paralyzed him change the way he looked at the world.
I'm so sorry both of them are gone.
no subject
Date: Saturday, 29 August 2026 05:45 pm (UTC)I have more to say about strokes.
K.
no subject
Date: Sunday, 30 August 2026 12:01 am (UTC)(I do recall that he offered to take Bob or I home from Minneapolis, although I believe, in the end, we did not need to take advantage of his kindness.)